Saturday, January 2, 2010

I do not do baby books

My cat doesn't do baby books either. :)
I have tried my hand at scrapbooking and at best I think I have made it through the first year for my 6 year old. Obviously, not a very good way to record your child's life. I have always enjoyed writing so a few months after my first biological child was born I bought a very nice leather journal to begin recording and journaling his life.

I plan on giving each of my children their respective journals on their 18th birthday. Until then though, I am writing about each of their lives from a Mother's perspective. I include all the same events that a baby book or scrapbook would include but because I've chosen to journal I am able to include so much more than just the basics. Some days I only write the basics but other times I pour my heart out to them telling them how much they mean to me and how proud of them I am. I also include major events that happen to our family which obviously play a role in who they are and what experiences they might remember from their childhood. I do not journal for them every day or even every week. I write as I feel led. Some entries are multiple pages while others are just a few sentences. Each little tid bit adds to the joy and memories that fill their pages.

The 3 journals that I am currently writing in for my children are pictured on the left. While the 2 that I recently purchased for the twins are on the right; I am eager to begin writing in them. For my boys I chose the traditional open book style. While for my girls I purchased magnetic closure books with decorative covers and inside pages.

Over the years I have grown to love the flexibility that journaling my children's lives allows. Not only can I write from my heart leaving them lasting memories but I can also include an unlimited amount of detail and emotion when I feel inclined which scrapbooks and baby books do not allow. I also include pictures from time to time which help to add more personality and sentimental value to the journals. I have also found that I love reading back through the entries. It helps this scattered brained Mom to better recall events in my children's younger years, something that I can never put a price on.

If you enjoy writing as much as I do, then perhaps this is an option you might want to consider for your own children. It is never too late to start a journal for them, they will appreciate it when they are older. A priceless gift!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails