Friday, February 4, 2011

Review: Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman


Stumbling upon Mary Beth Chapman's latest book was a bit of serendipity. My husband had taken our kids to the library and asked if there were any books I wanted him to check out for me. I rattled off a few authors never expecting to be the first in line for this highly sought after memoir. I was so thrilled when my husband told me this book was on hold for me because the library had not received their first copy of this book yet, but when it did come in I was first in line. 

I should first tell you that it takes a lot for a book to grab me from the very beginning. Typically I will read a few chapters in a book, put it down, and come back to it later in the day or even another day. I had this monster of a book devoured in nearly one marathon sitting. I just could not put it down! Mary Beth writes in such a style that you feel like she is sitting across the couch from you and together you are enjoying a cup of hot tea while she tells you a part of her life story. The backbone of this book is the tragic accident that took the life of one of her adopted daughters. However, Chapman begins the story back before children and before she and Steven Curtis Chapman met and married. Mary Beth eloquently takes her reader on a journey through her life that has been filled with tragedy and triumph. All along the way she relates how her faith has been tested but how she knew God never left her side. Grab your box of tissues, a glass of tea, and Mary Beth Chapman's latest book Choosing To See, you will cry and rejoice right along with the Chapman family every step of the way.

From the publisher:
I’ve told my kids for years that God doesn’t make mistakes,” writes Mary Beth Chapman, wife of Grammy award winning recording artist Steven Curtis Chapman. “Would I believe it now, when my whole world as I knew it came to an end?” Covering her courtship and marriage to Steven Curtis Chapman, struggles for emotional balance, and living with grief, Mary Beth’s story is our story–wondering where God is when the worst happens. In Choosing to SEE, she shows how she wrestles with God even as she has allowed him to write her story–both during times of happiness and those of tragedy. Readers will hear firsthand about the loss of her daughter, the struggle to heal, and the unexpected path God has placed her on. Even as difficult as life can be, Mary Beth Chapman Chooses to SEE. Includes a 16-page full color photo insert.

An interview with Mary Beth Chapman as she speaks about her book and the journey writing this book set her upon.



Disclaimer: this review is my true and honest opinion, I did not receive compensation in any way for this review.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails