Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tough Kids Teach Tough Lessons

No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening---it's painful!
But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained this way.
Hebrews 12:11

Photobucket

Raise your hand if you enjoy discipline. . . .well of course you don't, I don't think any parent enjoys being the bad guy in the eyes of their child. But just as the our Heavenly Father disciplines us for bad decisions we too must teach our children right from wrong.

If you have more than one child you undoubtedly experience a difference in personalities between those children. Some are mild, some are calm, while others are, oh how shall we say it, tough. Yes, that is a nice term for those kids that have their own path in life.

When I ran head long into motherhood I was first a step-mother. By God's grace I became a step-mother (not really a fan of that term, mind you) to a VERY calm 2 year old and his 4 year old sister. The 2 year old never threw a tantrum, never argued, and always sat still to eat his meals. No kidding, I am not exaggerating! God knew I needed this reprieve from discipline being that I was a new Mom thrown into a tough situation. Still to this day my son is easy going and has a super kind heart. After that walk in the park of raising a 2 year imagine my horror when I realized not all toddlers acted that way. My side of the family, myself included are strong personalities so it comes to no surprise that my 2 youngest are "tough".

Yet again though, my Heavenly Father knew what I could handle and knew the lessons these tough kids would teach me. For Him and my children I am forever grateful! My 2 tough children have thought me more about myself than I could have ever imagined. I shudder to think of the person I might be today without them and their never ending love. However, if you are a Mom of a tough child you know that the road of parenthood is bumpy and sometimes painful.

Through His grace and mercy though, tough kids teach us tough lessons. Lessons that are so important to learn!

From my 2 tough children I have learned the following:
  • Putting myself in timeout is effective and necessary
  • Closing my eyes and counting to 10 brings my heartrate down a few notches
  • Tempers are hereditary and can be traced directly through my familiy
  • Watch what you say and do because it will ALL come back to haunt you
  • Silence filled with only a hug helps me and my child
  • When I feel my patience has reached it's breaking point, there is ALWAYS just a little bit more to get me gracefully through the tough situation
  • Stopping to pray aloud for patience, guidance, and strength teaches your children we need to always look to God for help.
My 2 tough children have graciously taught me that I can handle tough discipline situations with ease and effectiveness. I see that they are all growing into kind hearted children. Though I will never be perfect, my tough children are showing me that perfection isn't what they need. Children around the world just need loving and patient parents, the other stuff will all fall in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails