Wednesday, September 29, 2010

New Monic Vocabulary Cartoons Review


Are you looking for a fun way to teach your third to sixth grader vocabulary words? Or perhaps you are in search of a new way for your upper elementary child to retain the vocabulary words they learn? If you are in either of these situations, I would suggest you look into New Monic Vocabulary Cartoons, Elementary Edition.

About the book:
New Monic Vocabulary Cartoons, Elementary Edition uses mnemonics to help students retain the vocabulary words they learn. Mnemonics are devices such as poems, rhymes, or formula that help aid memory retention. New Monic couples a cartoon with an easy to remember sentence to help with vocabulary word retention and recall. This book contains 210 challenging vocabulary words that third through sixth graders should know. After every 10 words there is a quiz to test retention. The quizzes are in matching and fill in the blank format.

You can view a complete word list for this book as well as page samples on the New Monic website.


How we used this book:


As a member of The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew I was given the opportunity to review this book with my oldest son who is a fourth grader. To say that vocabulary is his strong subject is quite an understatement. We struggle on a daily basis with many common vocabulary words. Hence, I was very excited to find out that we were being given an opportunity to review this book.

Each school morning during our group study time I would introduce a new word, show the cartoon, and read through the definition, sentence and accompanying mnemonic sentence. All of my kids thoroughly enjoyed these exercises. Later in the day I reviewed the word with my oldest and had him read the page on his own. As a writing and retention exercise I often times asked him to write 1-2 new sentences on his own using the word.  When we had completed 10 words my oldest would take the corresponding quiz. I am happy to say that he always did very well on the quizzes, which is more than I could have hoped for.

Using mnemonics proved to be a fun yet effective way for my son to remember the vocabulary words presented in this book. As a result, I have begun introducing and creating mnemonics for other words he struggles with. Again, he is showing improvement with words that he previously struggled with.

Pricing information:


New Monic's Vocabulary Cartoons, Elementary Edition is available for $12.95. Large quantity order discounts are available.

Want to read what other TOS Crew members are saying about this book? Hop on over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to read more.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails