Thursday, January 10, 2013

No-Refried Refried Beans

Being originally from Southern California, my family and I love Mexican food. Tacos, fajitas, salsa, guacamole; you name we we've most likely tried it, love it, and make it at home.

Refried beans are a staple in Mexican cuisine but I've always heard they were time and labor intensive to make at home. I don't remember how it happened but about a month ago I stumbled across a recipe for no-refried refried beans. I was intrigued. After reading the recipe and making my own refried beans numerous times I've adapted the original recipe to be easier and quicker.

Nothing fancy here. . .but the no-refried beans are so yummy.

Make up a batch of pinto beans by soaking dry pinto beans for a couple of hours or even overnight. Place them in a large stock pot and cook over medium heat until tender, usually 3-4 hours. Cooked pintos will stay fresh refrigerated for up to 2 weeks, save a good portion of the water that the beans cooked in.

For simplicity in my own family I make small batches of refried beans as needed. We use pinto beans for so many things that I don't want to "re-fry" an entire pot of beans.

As needed for meals I reheat the chilled pintos in a saucepan with about 1/4 cup of the water from the pinto bean stock. While the beans are warming I mash them with a metal ladle. Any solid kitchen utensil will work for this job. Continue mashing the beans until you get a "beans paste". Once you have the desired mashed bean consistency, warm and season to your desired tastes. I typically add a bit of cheddar cheese and maybe a bit of salt if needed. Once warm and reduced to your refried bean consistency preferences enjoy!

See nothing fancy and most importantly none of the yucky preservatives, chemicals, and fat found in commercially available cans of refried beans.

(my apologies for no picture at this time, I will be sure and snap a shot next time we cook some of these yummy beans up)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails