Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Praying Over the Kitchen Sink

Your quiet sanctuary and place of respite with the Lord may be no farther than your kitchen sink. Put away your dishwasher and enter into prayer and discussions with your Heavenly Father over a hot soapy sink of dirty dishes. Honestly, try it.

For all of my adult life I have had a dishwasher which I regularly used to clean my dirty dishes. I would hurriedly rinse the dishes and load them in the dishwasher then run off to do something else on my to-do list. Then 3 months ago we moved and I gave up my dishwasher. Dishes are now cleaned in the sink by my own two hands as I look out the window and watch the birds feed and scurry about. Three times a day or more I can be found with my hands in a sink of hot soapy water. At first admittedly washing dishes by hand was a chore I gladly handed off to anyone who volunteered to wash. Now however, I have learned to enjoy my quiet time at the sink. As with many other aspects of our move, the Lord's hand lay upon me while I stand at the sink scrubbing food from our last meal off of a stack of dishes. He uses this time to open my heart to prayer. I pray and meditate upon anything and everything that comes to mind. Prayers requests from friends, personal worries and prayers, and praises all flow from my heart. My new prayer room is in fact not a room at all. I now pray best over a sink of dirty dishes as I watch the beautiful world outside my kitchen window.

Your personal prayer time does not have to be a set time each day. Open your eyes, your heart, and your mind to all the beautiful opportunities God sets before you each day to pray to Him. Turn off your dishwasher and turn on your sink.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails